University ID Card: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Your University ID card is your official UW-River Falls identification card.  It gives you access to campus resources such as the campus library, door access, and meal plans.  Your University ID can also be used to make purchases all across campus.

What are the benefits of having a University ID?

  • Access to campus resources
  • Proof of identity on campus
  • Door access
  • Meal plan usage at food venues on campus
  • Campus/Athletic events
  • Printing on campus
  • Check cashing at the University Center Information Desk

How do I qualify for a University ID?

To be eligible for a University ID, you need to be affiliated with the University in some way. Several examples of qualification include the following:

  • Full or Part time student currently enrolled in classes, taking .5 or more credits in any given semester.
  • Full or Part time faculty/staff member with an active appointment for a department on campus
  • Affiliated with a Sponsorship Program approved by both the Carding Office and at least one other department on campus
    • To verify if a Sponsorship Program is an approved affiliation with campus, send an email to DoTS at with the name of the program. A member of the Carding Office will respond promptly!

Where can I obtain a University ID?

The Carding Office is located in the DoTS Service Center in 160 Chalmer Davee Library.  We are open from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.  No appointment is necessary for obtaining an ID card so stop in and we will get a ID card made for you today!

What type of identification do I need to provide to obtain a University ID?

A valid form of government issued ID is required to validate your identity.  This includes but is not limited to passports, drivers licenses, military IDs and visas.

Is there a fee to obtain a University ID?

The first ID card is provided at no cost.  A replacement is available at no cost if you have a change in name or status (such as going from a student to a staff member).  A replacement fee of $15 will be assessed to replace any lost or stolen cards.

What should I do if I lose my UWRF Student/Staff ID?

Immediately go to the GET Funds website and use the "I Lost My Card" feature to report your card as lost. This will disable your ID card so it can't be misused. You can also contact the Carding Office by calling 715-425-3687 (DoTS) and asking for the Carding Office or by stopping by the Carding Office located at 160 Chalmer Davee Library.  A new ID can be obtained at the Carding Office. There is a $15 fee to replace a lost/stolen card.

How do I reactivate my lost card?

If you found your lost card and would like to reactivate it and have not already purchased a new one, you can do so in two ways:

  • Go to the GET Funds website and use the "I Found My Card" button.  (This button only becomes available if you reported your card lost online.)
  • Stop by the Carding Office located at 160 Chalmer Davee Library

Note: If you find a previously lost ID after getting a new one printed, the old one will no longer function. Once a new ID card has been printed, the old ID card is forever obsolete.

Can I punch a hole in my UWRF student/staff ID?

No, you cannot punch a hole in your University ID card.  The proximity chip in your card has a copper wire that transmits a signal and punching your card in the wrong spot will ruin your card.

I forgot my UWRF ID at home, what do I do?

Unfortunately our options are limited if you don’t physically have your UWRF ID.  Since you can only have one active card and when you obtain a replacement ID card your old card is deactivated and you can never go back to an old card.  Your options are to purchase a new ID card or go home and get your UWRF ID card.

Are there discounts for using my student/staff ID?

On campus you can receive a discount by using Falcon Dollars. Falcon Dollars are available to anyone in the university community. By pre-depositing money into a Falcon Dollars account, you will receive a 5% discount on food items purchased at University Center dining venues.  In addition, students do not pay tax on food purchases when using Falcon Dollars so they get 10+% off when using Falcon Dollars! There are also discounts for owners of a student/staff ID at businesses in the city of River Falls.  Check individual businesses for particular circumstances and conditions.

Aside from discounts on purchases, University ID cardholders also receive discounts for attending campus events including athletic games, concerts, and other venues.

How do I know how much money is left in my account?

Each time a purchase is made, the cashier's display will show the remaining account balance so ask your cashier how much you have left.  You can also review your balance online at the GET Funds website.

Was this helpful?
0 reviews