Voter ID: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

For additional information, see
Date of Election Election Summary Carding Hours of Operation
February 20th, 2024 2024 Spring Primary 7:30am to 4:30pm
April 2nd, 2024 2024 Spring + Presidential Preference Election 7:30am to 4:30pm
August 13th, 2024 2024 Partisan Primary 7:30am to 4:30pm
November 5th, 2024 2024 General Election 7:30am to  8pm

Most students do not need a Voter ID because they already possess the identification required. However, UW-River Falls provides Voter ID cards to students who request one. Your Voter ID is valid for two years as long as you remain an enrolled student and it is a separate card from your university ID. We recommend you review the UW-System Student Voting Guide to learn more about the voter ID program or the more general Bring It to the Ballot website.

Do I need a voter ID card to vote?

Students are not required to obtain a voter ID card and may use another form of photo identification approved for voting purposes. Please see the Bring It to the Ballot governmental website for approved forms of voter identification. The university is providing you with the tools to reduce the barrier to voting in Wisconsin; however, it is the discretion of your polling place staff to make the decision on whether you are allowed to vote or not vote. If you have specific polling place questions, refer to the elections clerk of your municipal area for assistance.

A UWRF ID is not an approved photo identification with which to vote.

Who can get a voter ID?

All currently enrolled UWRF undergraduate and graduate students may obtain a Voter ID if they are at least 18 years of age or older at the time of issuance. (See the "What do I need to bring to obtain a voter ID?" section for more details.) This program is primarily targeted at out of state students living on campus or in the local area. Getting a voter ID card does not change your eligibility status for voting.

CVTC students are not eligible to receive a UWRF voter ID.

How do I get my voter ID?

Come over to the Carding Office. We can produce this ID card for you in a matter of seconds. No appointment is necessary for obtaining a voter ID card. Due to the complexity in printing the Voter ID card, these cards can only be printed during specific hours throughout the week: 7:30am - 4:30pm, Monday through Friday. On the day of the November election, we are open extended hours of 7:30am - 8pm. 

Students can also virtually request a voter ID! Start by visiting our MyTech portal and selecting the Voter ID button on the right hand side. Read through the request details and provide your signature in the designated frame. Once you hit the Save button, you will be asked a few yes/no questions verifying authenticity of the signature. Our Carding Office will receive the submission once complete and we will print your voter ID! Please note: once we print the voter ID, you will be required to visit the Carding Office to collect it; be sure to have your UWRF student ID and government issued ID ready for the final layer of identity verification.

Is there a fee to obtain a voter ID?

There is no fee for a voter ID.

What do I need to bring to obtain a voter ID?

If you have already received a standard University ID, we will use that photo on file. If you already have an ID photo on file, we have already verified your identity. The voter ID is a separate physical card from your official university ID.

If you do not already have a standard university ID, we will need to conduct an identity verification step with you before you can receive either card. We will not issue an official university student ID without verifying your identity. Bring a state-issued photo ID, passport, military photo ID, or driver's license. If you have an application for a state ID or driver's license, that can also be accepted so long as it is valid.

We will ask you to sign on the ID itself after it has completed printing.

How do I get my enrollment verification report?

Enrollment verification is required if students use a campus voter ID card. To get a enrollment verification report to accompany your voter ID:

  1. Log into eSIS to access your Student Center page
  2. Go to the Resources area (bottom right)
  3. Select the WI Voter Verification link 
  4. After a few seconds, a new tab should open in your browser with a PDF to print

Tip: Make sure that your browser is not blocking pop-up windows from eSIS. You may see a warning from your browser. If so, choose "allow pop ups" in your browser and go through the steps again to obtain your verification report.

What if I lose my voter ID?

Please visit the Carding Office for a replacement voter ID.

Where can I get more information about voter IDs?

See the Student Voting Guide to learn about

  • basic information about voting
  • links to UW voting documents including campus-specific information on voter-ID compliant student cards and enrollment verification documents

Are there any other options?

The Voter ID can only to be used for voting purposes (acceptance of ID is at the discretion of the voting location personnel) and is not a substitute for the UW-River Falls official ID card. You may find a free Wisconsin ID Card more valuable, as it can be used as your official form of state ID in place of a drivers license.


Note: DoTS is not involved in determining Voter ID issuance requirements. All procedures related to obtaining a Voter ID and subsequently voting in the State of Wisconsin are based on current state statute given to DoTS by UW System Legal.


Article ID: 2374
Fri 9/19/14 1:05 PM
Thu 4/4/24 8:30 AM

Related Articles (1)

Questions and answers about university ID cards.