Voter ID: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Most students will not need a Voter ID, because they already posses the identification required.  However, UW-River Falls provides Voter ID cards to students who request one. Your Voter ID is valid for two years as long as you remain an enrolled student and it is a separate card from your university ID.  We recommend you review the UW-System Student Voting Guide to learn more about this voter ID program or the more general Bring It to the Ballot website.


Do I have to get one of these voter ID cards to vote?

Students are not required to obtain a voter ID card and may use another form of photo identification approved for voting purposes. Note: a University ID is not an approved photo identification to vote with. Please see the Bring It to the Ballot governmental website for approved forms of voter identification.  The university is providing you with the tools to reduce the barrier to voting in Wisconsin; however, it is the discretion of your polling place staff to make the decision on whether you are allowed to vote or not vote.  If you have specific polling place questions, refer to the elections clerk of your municipal area for assistance.


Who can get a voter ID?

All currently enrolled UWRF undergraduate and graduate students may obtain a Voter ID if they are at least 18 years of age or older at the time of issuance.  See the "what should I bring" section for more details.

This program is primarily targeted at out of state students living on campus or in the local area.  Getting a voter ID card does not change your eligibility status for voting.  

CVTC students are not eligible to receive a UWRF voter ID.


How do I get my enrollment verification report?

To get a enrollment verification report to accompany your voter ID:

  1. Log into eSIS to access your Student Center page
  2. Scroll down to the Resources area in the lower right section
  3. Click the WI Voter Verification link 
  4. After a few seconds, a new tab should open in your browser with a PDF to print

Tip: Make sure that your browser is not blocking pop up windows from eSIS.  You may see a warning from your browser.  If so, choose "allow pop ups" in your browser and go through the steps again to obtain your verification report.


When can I get my voter ID?

We can produce this ID card for you in a matter of minutes between 7:45AM and 4:30PM, Monday - Friday.  No appointment is necessary for obtaining a voter ID card during our published hours.

Special Hours for Fall 2018 elections:

  • Monday, November 5, 2018:  7:45AM - 8:00PM
  • Tuesday, November 6, 2018:  7:45AM - 8:00PM*

* note that it takes approximately 5 minutes per person per ID card, if you wait until the last minute and there is a long line there is no guarantee you will be issued a card in time to vote.  Please come in days prior to the election to ensure a smooth issuance of your card.


Where can I obtain a voter ID?

The Carding Office is located in the DoTS Service Center in 160 Chalmer Davee Library, the central lower level by the computer labs.


What do I need to bring to obtain a voter ID?

If you have already received a standard University ID we will use that photo on file.  If you already have an ID photo on file, we have already verified your identity. The voter ID is a separate physical card from your official university ID.

If you DO NOT already have a standard University ID, then we will need you to conduct an identity verification to receive your official student ID and then your voter ID.  We will not issue an official university student ID without verifying your identity.  You need to bring a state issued photo ID, passport, military photo ID, or driver's license.  If you have an application for state ID or driver's license, that will suffice as long as it is valid.  

We will ask you to sign on our electronic signature capture device for printing your signature on the back of the voter ID.


Where can I use my voter ID?

The voter ID can only to be used for voting purposes (acceptance of ID is at the discretion of the voting location personnel) and is not a substitute for the UW-River Falls official ID card.  You may find a free Wisconsin ID Card more valuable as it can be used as your official form of state ID in place of a drivers license.




Is there a fee to obtain a voter ID?

There is no fee for a voter ID.


What if I lose my voter ID?

Please visit the Carding Office in the DoTS Service Center, 160 Chalmer Davee Library for a replacement voter ID.  A reasonable number of replacement cards will be provided at no charge.  


Where can I get more information about voter IDs?

For more information, view the Student Voting Guide to learn about:

  • Basic information about voting
  • Links to UW voting documents including campus-specific information on voter-ID compliant student cards and enrollment verification documents. (Enrollment verification is required if students use a campus voter ID card.)
  • Links to helpful resources from the Government Accountability Board
Was this helpful?
0 reviews


Article ID: 2374
Fri 9/19/14 1:05 PM
Mon 10/15/18 9:33 AM